Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Marathon's Tale

Hello to all, it has been a few days since I last posted, but I have a very good reason for it!

I was invited by my Dad to attend the 40th running of the NYC marathon, and this was a very special one, not because it was the 40th, but because I had my sister and her husband running, and this is the story I wanted to share with you today.

We have written in the past about the power of a decision and the power of dreams, and this story is no different...

My sister and her husband (From now on referred as The Runners) made a decision about 6 months ago to run the Marathon, and they always had in mind, of course, finishing it.

They worked hard, they ran 4 to 5 times a week, they woke up before 5am in the morning, and then they started their usual day, of going to work... Definitely a proof of discipline to stay on this regime for such a long time... But here is the catch...They had a dream on which they acted upon.

After months of preparation, finally the day of the running came. A Marathon is a 26 mile (42 Km) race, but in their training, the farthest they went, was 22 miles (35Km).

The race started and of course we tried to be at different points to cheer them on, The Runners both did different times, but they both finished.

After the 18th mile, their bodies said "This is it, I can't go any further", and the mind said "I prepared myself for this, I know I can go all the way"... Guess who won?

Our mind is our greatest asset, we just need to strengthen it to withstand whatever obstacle is thrown at it.

After they finished, after the tears of joy and of pride, they both told us that they finished in spite of their bodies, they hung on to things greater than themselves, they hung on to their dreams... Finishing the NYC Marathon. There was no other possible outcome.

The Runners offered one mile for family, one mile for friends, one mile for those who already passed away, and a mile at a time, they completed the course.

I want to pay tribute to those who dare, to those who made the impossible possible just by the strength of their desire, the laser focus and by overcoming every possible excuse to stop, to quit, to give in.

To my sister and her husband, to the runners, and to all the runners of the Marathon... I bow, I thank you, I recognize you, you inspired me and many more.

Our dreams are our marathon in life, my invitation is to make the commitment to finish it, don't let the pain stop you, don't let the exhaustion keep you from that precious moment of crossing the finish line, raise your arms to the sky and say "Mission Accomplished".

Lore and Osmar, I love you guys!!! and to the Voice "Looking good!!!" "Good job runners!!". I thank you....

Until next time!

Federico Ruiz

No comments:

Post a Comment